KiwiRail has a proud 155-year history in New Zealand and we’re an iconic and key part of the country’s social and economic fabric. Responsible for significantly driving economic growth through our internationally acclaimed tourism brands, by moving over a third of New Zealand’s export goods and by holding the country’s second largest property portfolio.
As well as moving freight, we also connect a rich diversity of people and places through our Great Journeys of New Zealand scenic experiences. We have three trains, Northern Explorer, Costal Pacific and TranzAlpine and our Interislander Cook Strait ferry, offering a seamless link between the North and South Island.
With customers at the heart of everything we do, we have a vision for a bigger, bolder role for rail and ambitious growth goals. It’s a more exciting time than ever to join us and we’re looking for driven and passionate people who care about our purpose of creating stronger connections, for a better New Zealand.
We have an ambitious 5-year growth plan where we have already secured $1 billion from the government to invest in rail.
Who We Are:
We’re a business that’s going somewhere with ambitious plans and a government that believes in the importance of what we do. We are working together to build stronger transport connections, through investment in improved infrastructures and close working relationships with our key partners and stakeholders to create a better connected New Zealand. With millions invested in the growth of KiwiRail we are now looking to strengthen our teams even more with leaders and technical experts who can continue to take us on this journey.
With just over 3,500 staff in locations across the country, KiwiRail is one of New Zealand’s largest transport industry employers. Our people are the core of our business and are committed to meeting the challenge to make KiwiRail a sustainable business. We are committed to ensuring they have the tools, resources and training they need for us to meet our customer promise – we will deliver.
Our objective is to build a high performance culture based on five key strategic themes:
- Attracting, recruiting and retaining energetic and engaged people by putting in place good employer practices
- Developing and growing leadership capability to spread our shared vision and values throughout the business
- Building flexibility, capability and capacity by creating a learning environment, implementing flexible work practices, employment initiatives and skills development programmes.
- Developing a performance culture through the implementation of values-based leadership, excellent safety practices, customer-focused strategies and performance management systems.
- Implementing excellent human resource and occupational health and safety practices, processes and systems that support our people and enable managers to proactively manage their teams.
Life and work in New Zealand
Get job alerts from KiwiRail straight in your inbox